Are you looking for an easy way to customize the look of your WordPress website? Adding a custom font is one of the most straightforward and dramatic changes you can make. In this article, we’ll explore the different options available to you as we walk through the process of adding a custom font to your WordPress website. Read on to discover everything you need to know about making your website stand out with a unique typeface.
1. Create the custom font files
The custom font you’ve designed is no doubt beautiful and unique, so you don’t want the world to miss out on it! It’s time to create the necessary files for the font’s distribution.
Your custom font needs to be compiled into multiple files and formats to make it available for different users and applications on a wide range of devices. The more you make it accessible, the bigger your reach!
- Font file types — Create different font types, like TrueType and OpenType font files (.ttf and .otf), respectively.
- Web fonts — Make sure to include webfont versions of your font in a format like WOFF, so it can be used on websites.
- Glyph copies — Include versions of your font that work with countries that use characters and symbols unique to them.
Now that font files are generated, you’re almost ready for the world to enjoy your beautiful font!
2. Add the font files to your WordPress site
You have acquired your desired font and added it to your computer’s fonts library— now what? To use the font on your WordPress site, you’ll need to add the actual font files to the WordPress folder on your server.
Conveniently, the font files added to your computer’s library will have already been saved in the correct file types needed for the web— namely, WOFF and WOFF2. All you will have to do is to import the appropriate files into your WordPress site via FTP (File Transfer Protocol). First, you will need to connect to your hosting server using a third-party client:
Once you have connected, navigate to the /wp-content/themes/[theme name]/fonts folder. Alternatively, you may find the directory /your-site/wp-content/uploads/ already being used as a folder for other fonts.
Browse for the font files— with the extensions .woff or .woff2— and upload them. Now, you have successfully added the font files to your WordPress site and are ready to use them!
3. Implementing the font in your WordPress theme
Adding just the right font to your WordPress theme can take your online presence from bland to bold. The power of typography can’t be overlooked, so it’s important to get it right. Here are a few easy steps to implement an attractive font on your WordPress website:
- Select a font that best matches the look and feel of the theme design.
- Ensure the chosen font is compatible with your web platform.
- Decide where the font will be used within the sites code.
If you’re a beginner when it comes to coding, you might need some additional support to get your font up and running. Fortunately, there are WordPress plugins to lend a helping hand! These handy add-ons let you manage fonts on your site with minimal technical hurdles. They enable you to quickly install, activate and customize any font of your choosing.
4. Customize your WordPress site with the Custom font
If you’re looking to make your WordPress site stand out, something as simple as the font choice can make all the difference. WordPress now offers many options for fonts, giving you the freedom to express your site’s personality in the perfect typeface. Here’s four steps to quickly customize your WordPress site with the perfect font:
- Choose what type of font you want, such as serif, sans-serif, cursive, or display. Each type has specific characteristics that might fit certain themes better than others.
- Find a font that speaks to you. Spend some time playing with typeface combinations to make sure they complement each other and fit the mood of your site.
- Make sure to stay away from increasingly popular fonts – you want your site to be original and not blend into the crowd of other sites. Consider custom fonts as well; there are plenty of creative ones available for purchase.
- Once you have narrowed it down to one or two fonts, go ahead and install them on your WordPress site. The instructions for doing so are quite straightforward and easy to follow.
Customizing your WordPress site with the perfect font will make it stand out and give it a unique, personalized look. Start the process now and make sure your site has the perfect typeface to express your creativity!
With this introduction to adding a custom font in WordPress, we hope that you now have the tools to spruce up your website today! So get creative and enjoy giving your website an extra touch of personality.