Do you want to customize the URLs for your WordPress website? It’s as simple as changing the permalink structure. With just a few clicks, you can make your URLs more user friendly, SEO friendly, and easier to remember. In this article, we will walk you through the steps to change the permalink structure in WordPress. Keep reading to find out how you can make the most of your permalinks!
1. Unlock the Power of Custom Permalinks Structure in WordPress
Permalinks are an essential part of WordPress. And while the default structure is functional, most users don’t take full advantage of their potential power. With custom permalinks, you can create SEO-friendly URLs that are easier to remember and directly improve the authority of your website.
Better permalinks can make a huge difference for your business. To customize them, you need to update the “Settings” section of your dashboard. From there, select “Permalinks.” You can choose from pre-defined options like “Day and Name” or “Month and Name”. Or go for a full-custom option and select “Post name.” This will display the post title in the URLs. Once you have made your selection, click “save changes” to finalize your new structure.
- Date and name – includes the publication date followed by the post title
- Month and name – incorporates the publishing month and post title
- Post name – displays the post title in the permalink
2. Create the Right Platform for Dynamic URLs structure
As a website owner, you’re faced with the challenge of creating dynamic URLs that will work effectively and efficiently for your business. But how do you know you’re creating the right platform?
Understand Your Platform
Before taking any steps towards creating dynamic URLs, it’s important to get to know the platform you’ll be working with. Here are a few key aspects to consider:
- What are the limitations of my chosen platform?
- Are there any changes we can make to our platform to improve the dynamic URLs?
- What technologies or systems can help me to create the best URLs possible?
Analyse Your URL Patterns
Once you’ve identified the right platform, you’ll need to understand the URL patterns you’ll need to use to create effective URLs. Begin by asking yourself:
- What kind of content am I creating dynamic URLs for?
- What do I want the URLs to tell people about each page?
- How do I want to differentiate different sections of my website?
Analysing your URL patterns will help you create dynamic URLs that are easy to read, understand and navigate.
3. Ensure Your URLs are User-Friendly
When it comes to URLs, the key is to ensure they are user-friendly, so that your audience can easily find what they’re looking for. With a few simple steps, you can make sure your URLs are easy to remember and navigate.
- Keep URLs as short as possible and use relevant keywords to place more emphasis on certain pages.
- Avoid long URLs that contain multiple subdirectories and numbers, as they can be very hard to remember.
- Organize content into manageable categories, this may help reduce the length of the URLs.
- Add hyphens between the words in your URLs as this will make them much easier to read.
For a more memorable URL, take advantage of words or phrases that represent the page instead of a long list of numbers and letters. Remember, a concise and descriptive URL will not only ensure a better user experience, but it will also help your search engine rankings.
4. Learn the Benefits of Streamline Permalinks
Having permalinks that are streamlined can help make your website user-friendly, search engine-friendly, and secure. Here are some of the benefits of streamlining your permalinks:
- Easy to remember and share: Streamlined permalinks are memorable and can be easily shared in the form of URLs.
- Reduces the risk of broken links: Streamlined URLs tend to be shorter and less complex, making them much less prone to error, making them more reliable.
- Improves SEO: Streamlined URLs make it easier for search engine crawlers to crawl and index your pages and improve their overall visibility.
If you’re running an e-commerce business, streamlining your permalinks can be especially beneficial. By keeping the product permalinks uniform and structured, customers will be able to access the products they need with ease. Additionally, optimized permalinks ensure that customers can easily make purchases using their smartphones and other mobile devices.
If you’ve mastered the art of changing the WordPress permalink structure, you’ve taken an important step in optimizing your website for search engines. Its simplified URLs will help both users and search engine algorithms find the content that you intended for them to find. The next time you’re revamping your WordPress website, make sure you change the permalink structure and watch your website soar to new heights of recognition and success!
Need a website for your business?
We offer affordable WordPress website design services that helps you create a powerful online presence. Our team of experienced designers has extensive knowledge of WordPress and can create a custom wordpress website design with elementor pro that perfectly reflects your brand and message.