WordPress provides a user-friendly interface for creating and editing content, and allows users to easily add features and functionality through the use of plugins and themes. It is highly customizable and can be used to create a wide variety of websites, including blogs, e-commerce stores, portfolios, and business websites.
How to start your own website?
To build your own website, you will need a domain name and WordPress hosting. A domain name is your site’s address on the web, like google.com. Web hosting is the storage for all your website files. We recommend using Bluehost for web hosting. They are one of the largest hosting companies in the world, and an official WordPress recommended hosting partner to set up a custom 404 error page in WordPress.
You’ve put in the hard work to create a great website but there’s still one step left – setting up a custom 404 error page. Frustration is normal when users find their way to a dead-end page on your website, but with a custom 404 error page, you can turn that frustration into an opportunity. In this article, we’ll discuss how to set up a custom 404 error page in WordPress.
1. Make your 404 error page a helpful part of your website
The 404 error page can evoke a sense of frustration among website visitors. It’s the last thing they want to see when they click on a link, but unfortunately it’s an inevitability. It doesn’t have to be, however. With a customized 404 error page, it can actually become a helpful part of your website.
To make the best out of your 404 error page you should:
- Be message-focused. Make sure the message of the error page is clear. Tell users that the page isn’t available, explain why and suggest some alternatives.
- Be helpful. Provide users with a search bar so they can look for the content they wanted to find. You may also include a sitemap and contact information so they can reach out if they need more help.
- Be creative. The 404 error page can become a part of your website’s branding. Have fun with the design and add visual elements that tie in with your overall website design.
By taking the time to customize your 404 page, you turn a frustrating experience into a helpful one. Users are more likely to stay on your website, and in the end, that is what will make your website successful.
2. Essential steps to customize a 404 error page in WordPress
Having a 404 page is essential for any website, so if you want to make sure yours stands out, you’ll want to customize it. Here are the key steps for customizing a 404 page in WordPress:
- Set Up Your Theme: Custom 404 pages are usually handled by the theme you are using, so make sure it is set up correctly. This will usually involve finding the 404.php file and adding your needed code.
- Create the Page Content: Once you have the basic setup of the 404.php file, you can then start to craft the content you want to show up on the page. You can include text, images and links to your other content.
- Update the Theme File: After creating the page contents, you’ll need to update the 404.php file so the new information displays on the page.
- Test the Page: Make sure to test the page to ensure that it works properly. This can be done by manually entering a URL in the wrong place or by using special tools like Google Search Console.
By following these steps you should be able to customize your 404 page in WordPress easily and efficiently. It’s important to remember that the 404 page is an important component of your website, so spend some time making sure it looks great!
3. Unexpected Benefits of a Custom 404 Page
Error Pages = More Visitors
When visitors reach the dreaded 404 page, you don’t have to worry too much. You can actually use the error page to your advantage! With a customized 404 page, you have the opportunity to capitalize on any web traffic you may lose. Instead of greeting visitors with a plain, technical message, give them incentive to stay engaged with your website. Offer them an apology for not finding the page they’re looking for and provide them with alternative options. For example, you could offer a link to your homepage and highlight any social media accounts you have.
Redicrecting Traffic to Your Site
Custom 404 pages can provide an effective way to route lost visitors back to your website. Instead of getting a generic Error 404 message, give the user an experience with your brand. By redirecting traffic to a landing page or blog, you can increase web presence, get more leads and convert traffic into customers. You can also use the page to reinforce your brand identity through adding a relevant image or logo that correlates with your brand message.
4. Take Control of your Website Visitors’ Experience with a Custom 404 Error Page
No one enjoys seeing the “404 Not Found” error message when they’re trying to find something on your website – and neither do you. Rather than focusing on the problem, provide a solution that gives your visitors a better online experience. Use a custom 404 error page to take control of discouraging and confusing error messages.
- Keep them on your site: Show your visitors they’re in the right place, even when they’ve reached a dead end. Guide them back to relevant content on your website by suggesting related posts or pages.
- Engage and delight: Why not make the best of a bad situation and use a custom 404 page as an opportunity to further engage your visitors? Put a smile on their face with a funny or inspiring quote, or show your playful side with some entertaining graphics.
Setting up a custom 404 page on your WordPress website is an essential step in creating a strong user experience. With the right message in place, you’ll be able to help your visitors to quickly find the content they’re after, while also decreasing bounce rates. It might seem like a small change, but don’t underestimate the power of customization! Who knew a 404 page could be so important?
Need a website for your business?
We offer affordable WordPress website design services that helps you create a powerful online presence. Our team of experienced designers has extensive knowledge of WordPress and can create a custom wordpress website design with elementor pro that perfectly reflects your brand and message. We will work closely with you to understand your needs and goals, and provide recommendations for design and functionality based on our expertise.
In addition to design, we can also provide optimization services for search engines, responsive design for mobile devices, and integration with social media platforms. Our goal is to create a website that not only looks great, but also delivers results for your business or organization. Let us help you take your online presence to the next level with our professional WordPress website design services.