These days, website owners are always on the lookout for ways to make their sites easier to find on search engines. One surefire way to get ahead of the competition is by optimizing On-Page SEO. And one of the most important elements of On-Page SEO is using effective alt tags. If you want to know how to maximize your On-Page SEO with alt tags, this article can help. Read on to find out more!
1. The Role of Alt Tags in On-Page SEO
SEO Optimization Basics
Alt tags, also known as alternative text, play an essential role in on-page SEO. They are a piece of HTML code that you add to the source code of a certain webpage. Alt tags help web-crawlers and users to understand the content of an image.
Alt tags should include important information about the image, such as its subject, size, colors, purpose and anything else that is descriptive. This way they are also beneficial for visually impaired people as they are also read by screenreaders used by computers which helps them to better interpret the content of the website.
Alt tags also help with SEO by increasing a website’s visibility in search engine result pages. They help the crawler identify the website’s images and the text associated with it, which can be taken into account in ranking. Furthermore, image searches by using relevant keywords can also lead to your page if well optimized.
In order to make proper use of Alt tags for SEO purposes, here’s a few tips you should take in account:
- Keep the alt tag to 125 characters or less, as to not overstuff them and make sure to include keywords.
- Make use of keyword variations, as to cover every related search engine query.
- Do not cram in too many words or use a phrase that is too long.
- Include a complete description of the image, and make sure it’s accurate and reasonable.
Alt tags might seem insignificant, but they can make a huge difference in the effectiveness of optimize your content for search engines. While taking the time to properly create and add relevant alt tags can help your website to rank higher, neglecting them can have the opposite effect.
2. Making the Most of Alt Tags for SEO Purposes
Alt Tags – Unlocking SEO Benefits
Alt tags or “alternative text” are hidden elements that allow search engine crawlers a better understanding of what’s in the image or content on the page. They are placed in the HTML code and are used to provide brief descriptions about the contents of the page. Alt tags help search engine crawlers understand the contents of a page, but they also have the potential to help your page rank in search engine results pages (SERPs). Here’s how:
- Alt tags make it possible for search engine crawlers to crawl or understand the contents of visuals.
- They provide an opportunity to include targeted keywords and phrases.
- They allow you to get more mileage out of old posts by simply adding an alt tag.
To make the most of the alt tags and to get the most out of your SEO efforts, create alt tags carefully. Start by adding keyword rich, targeted alt tags to all visuals. Keep the alt tags to no longer than 125 characters and focused on a single idea. Avoid keyword stuffing; search engine crawlers are just as smart as Google’s search algorithms. Over doing it will result in fewer opportunities for SERP improvement.
3. Tips for Optimizing Your Use of Alt Tags
Choose Descriptive Keywords
When it comes to optimizing use of alt tags, it’s key to choose descriptive keywords that accurately portray the content of the image. Think of the keywords holistically, rather than looking at them in fragments. For instance, instead of using “tree, dark, night” as three individual keywords, you could combine them into the phrase “dark tree at night”. This succinctly captures what the image is all about.
Include Relevant Information
Whenever possible, you should use the alt tags to provide viewers with relevant information. This could include the name of a product, a unique promotional tagline, or even a company slogan. The bottom line is that if the image is related to certain information, it’s important to incorporate that data in looking to optimize your alt tags.
In addition, take advantage of alt tag attributes by including directional cues. For example, adding “dog’s face left” to the alt tag would be helpful to readers that rely on screen readers. That way, they know exactly what direction the image is facing.
4. Achieving Maximum SEO Benefits from Alt Tags
Alt tags, or alternative text labels, are essential components of any website’s SEO success. They provide a series of descriptions for images which indicate to search engines what the images contain. This way, query results can be better matched to the images on the page and improve the search engine ranking of a website. Here are some tips to help get the most out of your alt tags:
- Research keywords: Choose the keywords most useful for the images on the page by researching the individual topics and seeing what terms appear most often.
- Write concisely and accurately: Avoid attempting to keyword stuff your alt tags or writing them too vaguely. Aim for between 7-12 words for your alt tags, and make sure the descriptions are relevant to the visual content.
- Context matters: When writing alternative text, consider the context around the image as it improves SEO relevance. If an image is part of a chain of content, then it is important to include the surrounding subject matter in the alt tag.
By investing the right kind of effort into creating the right kind of alt tags, the SEO of any website can be improved significantly. Utilising the tips above will provide a sound foundation for high SEO rankings and greater visibility for website visitors.
Although mastering alt tag optimization is no easy task, it can be a valuable asset to your on-page optimization strategy. With proper attention and knowledge, alt tags can help your website to stand out and be found more easily in the ever-growing list of websites, now more than ever. Once you know exactly what each and every alt tag should look like, your website will be all the more better for it.
Need a website for your business?
We offer affordable WordPress website design services that helps you create a powerful online presence. Our team of experienced designers has extensive knowledge of WordPress and can create a custom wordpress website design with elementor pro that perfectly reflects your brand and message.