If you’re a business owner interested in optimizing your website for on-page SEO, you know how important it is to have the right strategies. You’ve likely heard that one of those strategies is the use of the HTML attribute “rel=nofollow”. But how do you actually use it for SEO? This article will explain everything you need to know about “rel=”nofollow”, what it does, and how to use it for SEO.
1. What is rel=”nofollow” and How Can it Help with On-Page SEO?
Rel=”nofollow” is an HTML tag that is added to links on webpages to tell search engines not to count the link as a ‘vote’ when indexing the page. It’s been around since 2005, when search engine giant Google came up with it. It has since become a common way to regulate link equity or link juice, helping prevent link spamming.
- Nofollow links act just like any other clickable link on your page from a user experience perspective.
- Adding the nofollow tag to an outbound link helps you take control of the PageRank you are passing from your website.
Search engine algorithmic or manual page reviews can detect pages with an excessive number of outbound links with the nofollow attribute. This can actually lead to decreased rankings for a website, as too many low-quality outbound links can be seen as a sign of spammy behaviour. Therefore maintaining a balance between nofollow and follow links is important for effective on-page SEO.
2. Benefits of Implementing rel=”nofollow” on-page seo on Your Website
Search Engine Ranking
- Adding rel=”nofollow” to all your external links will aid your website’s ranking against the searchers algorithm
- Ensuring your website credits backlinks with ‘nofollow’ tags, this can help you qualify for SEO relevance
- Use of nofollow elements will demonstrate your website is in compliance with search engine regulations
Flexibility of Use
- Using rel=”nofollow” is an easy and cost-effective way to control your website’s traffic and prevent any external links from collecting the data associated with it
- Another bonus of nofollow tags is the freedom to manage and update your outbound link connections as you please
- “nofollow” allows you control of your website’s external links, while still providing users with quality content
3. Tips for Appropriately Using the rel=”nofollow” Attribute
The rel=”nofollow” attribute is a handy tool when it comes to optimizing relevant backlinks on your website. Knowing when & how to properly use it is key to ensure its effectiveness. Here are some tips:
- Do Not Overuse the Attribute: Over-usage of the attribute can make external links look suspicious and negatively affect trust in the link. As such, reserve the use of this attribute only when absolutely necessary.
- Be Cautious with Ad/Sponsored Links: When linking out to an advertisement or sponsored link, it’s always best to specify the rel=”nofollow” attribute on these types of links for search engine optimization purposes.
Much like with anything, using the rel=”nofollow” attribute should be done in moderation. If used in the correct and appropriate manner, it can be a tremendous asset in helping strengthen your SEO and rankings.
4. Factoring the Downsides of rel=”nofollow” into SEO Considerations
SEO considerations for using rel=”nofollow” need to factor in its downsides. For example, the increased complexity of having to manually add the code to links can be time-consuming. Furthermore, the cost of resources on the server can also be an issue, as each click requires a new request.
In addition, users may not like the feel of losing control by being taken to a page they cannot influence by a link. This could lead to feelings of distrust or anger, both feelings you should be wary of in your SEO considerations. Here are a few more potential pitfalls of rel=”nofollow”:
- It only works on external links, not internal ones.
- It may not count as a vote from the page that contains the link
- It does nothing for the page being linked to, meaning the focus is still on the page containing the link.
Using rel=”nofollow” can be a fantastic tool for improving on-page SEO, but it is crucial to use it correctly and in moderation. While it may take some time to understand the ins and outs, with the right guidance, it can be a powerful asset to any SEO strategy. Now take your knowledge and use it to take your SEO game to the next level!
Need a website for your business?
We offer affordable WordPress website design services that helps you create a powerful online presence. Our team of experienced designers has extensive knowledge of WordPress and can create a custom wordpress website design with elementor pro that perfectly reflects your brand and message.